Thursday, May 1, 2008

So what do you do?

"So what do you do?" is the common question when you are meeting someone casually for the first time. Until recently, I could always reply, "I'm an Army Officer" or "I'm a big important exec at XYZ corporation" or something to that effect.

However, recently I have been a little perplexed as to how to properly answer that question. I stay at home with my kids and work an awesome business that my wife started...so i wonder, how do I answer now?

I guess many people go thru some sort of questioning like this whenever they go thru a big life change like I did. For the most part though, I always imagined I would always be a "Big Bidnez Man" or something along those lines.

I guess what I have come to the realization of is that its not about a title or anything like that, but about who you are and what you care about and how you help others that is important. I truly cherish the fact that I am staying at home with my kids now and have given my wife the opportunity to pursue her career goals. I'm also very appreciative of the fact that I am working with a wonderful company.

So...I guess my reply to the question is now, "What do I do? Well, I'm the Jolly Green Dad."


Jolly Green Dad

4 comments:

Joeprah said...

Very cool that you guys can work from home like that. Hats off to ya!

Missives From Suburbia said...

Oh, if you only know how I struggled with this question when I left a position as a VP of a public company and "retired". I wasn't even pregnant! "What do you do?" became the most impossible question at cocktail parties. I made peace with it and it made my transition so much easier when I finally became a mom. After all, how can you not be proud of doing the most important job of all?

TheyDHD said...

You rock. But I'm biased, and think all of us green stay at home parents who own and operate our own businesses rock pretty hard core. *chuckle*

Keep up the great work and play, and I'll see you on the BuzZ!

Ed said...

Awesome post. Nice blog. I also run a nutrition business from home. Check it out at Http://www.urilife.com/realfoodforlife.
Grace and Peace,
Ed