Wednesday, May 14, 2008

When Kids Make You Proud

Ok, this morning definitely had a proud parent moment.

My 7 year old daughter (the one in the picture with my wife) has been taking piano lessons for a while now. Usually, we have to struggle and argue and fuss to get her to practice. Its only 15 minutes a day that her teacher requires, but some days, we just don't the energy to argue with her to get her to practice.

In fact, we just inherited a stand-up piano from my wife's aunt. We thought that this would make her excited to practice, it helped a little for the first few days anyway......

The last two months of practice has been trying. My wife took piano for years and was able to sit down with her to help her practice. However, I have no musical skill whatsoever (except in the shower of course). So, I can't exactly help her out with piano practice.

Until this morning. Very proud parent moment. My daughter woke up on her own and was immediately asked by her younger sister to come play for a little bit. Her response was great, "No, I can't I have to practice my piano now."

Did I hear that correctly? Moments later, I heard her practicing....WOW!! Maybe we have turned the corner a bit on this issue? Only time will tell. Definately a proud parent right now though!

Now, I would have missed this if I was not staying at home. This moment definitely re-enforced the decision for me to stay home with the kids and and work on our business as well. I've missed so many of these moments in the past, I feel I need to make up for them. Only by having our business could we make up the difference between my former salary and my wife's current salary!

Here is to moments like these! Has anyone else ever had these kind of moments?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proud moments, indeed!! My oldest daughter (almost 9) is the same way with her violin. It took her awhile before she knew enough songs to justify practicing. Now, she likes to make us listen as she plays with her eyes closed - LOL!

Momo Fali said...

Oh yeah. There are many days when I feel like I'm a broken record, but there are also a lot of moments...when something just clicks...and you realize that all the nagging was worth it!