Thursday, May 29, 2008

Web Business Advice

There is tons of advice on everything web or business related out there, all you need to do is ask, and people in general will help.

Case in point. This week I took it upon myself to ask several in the blogging community for advice on my blog. Nothing special, but just asking for help with the layout. Since I don't know an Html from an Xbox, I have been struggling with some basic formatting here.

Let me tell you, what a response I got. I had about 20 people leave me comments or messages on their opinion on everything on my web site. I'll admit I have a LONG way to go, but I have already made several changes, and have ideas for many news ones. I even received three links to web sites with free blog layout templates (I think the person was really trying to say I needed to change my template). Here is a list of free blog layout templates:

www.gosublogger.com/search/label/Blogger%20Templateswww.eblogtemplates.com/templates/blogger-templates/www.bloggerbuster.com/2008/02/101-excellent-blogger-xml-templates.html

My point really is this....what I have found in my brief time blogging is that there IS help out there, for whatever your issue is. Whether it is web SEO advice, or marketing advice, or free blunt comments on your blog, our different ways to promote my business, people in general are willing to give a helping hand. Most of the advice out there is for free, and people are willing to give it out, all you need to ask. It only takes a little time and persistence.

I have personally learned a tremendous amount in the last month or so by reading, chatting, and asking for advice. What a great community this is!

Help is out there, all you need to do is ask for it.

Has anyone else has this experience?

5 comments:

Melisa Sriwulandari said...

Absolutely! The people at Blogcatalog are especially helpful.

Btw, I still think your sidebar is too cluttered. Maybe you might want to consider choosing a three column template and categorizing the widgets. Perhaps you've chosen this template cos it's green, but you don't have to. You can easily change the colours of other not-green templates too using the Fonts and Colours tab in the Layout tab like I did.
Hope that helps. I'm still new at this too actually.

McMommy said...

Well said!! The blogging community is a HUGE help to me!

I can't wait to see all the changes that are in store for the Jolly Green Dad blog!

Momisodes said...

So true. The blogosphere is an amazing community reaching all ends of the earth. Love it!

I had the similar responses to a few posts where I asked readers and visitors for advice :)

Unknown said...

although I don't know much about blogging if you need any help I do know HTML and other web stuff so let me know. I wanted to share with you that, I am a soon to be father who is expecting his first in October. I recently created a website over at www.justdaddys.net that is a place where fathers both new and veteran can come and trade thoughts, advice, and stories. Its still very new and only a small community. After coming across your blog and reading it, I would love to have someone like you get in on the ground and get involved as a community leader and resource. If you have any questions or would like to email me please feel free. Thanks, and see you on the boards.

Jason
DaddyKV

SBA said...

I actually found your blog by reading your discussion on BlogCataog --- one of my favorite features where you can ask for help. There are also plenty of blogs devoted to advice and tips for beginners. Try the categories and tags about design at StumbleUpon or see what others like myself have already stumbled!