Friday, April 18, 2008

Jolly Green Dad

OK everyone, my first official blog as a stay-at-home/work-at-home Dad. I intend this blog to be a little about my story of why I decided to do this, a little about my work and how its the best kind of work I've ever done, and how I am the happiest I have been in years.

So how did I get to this point you might ask? Well, let me tell you, I was the last person in the world that I would ever imagine being at home. As a former Army Officer, and operations/financial manager for a Fortune 500 company, I would have been what many considered to be career driven.

That is until I had my "I have had enough!!!" moment a couple of months ago. I got to the point where I really hated the work environment I was in, was tired and grouchy all the time, and absolutely was not enjoying the corporate environment at all with the "Bottom line or else" mentality. I decided to had to make an exit strategy. I really wanted to get back to working for someone/something that would help others, something with a helpful "big picture" kind of company.

Parallel to what I was doing in the Army and "civilian" career, my wife had started up a small business of her own. Its focused on environmentally cleaning and health and wellness products.
Go check it out. Anyway, this business had developed into quite a good second/part time income for us.

So, this was my plan, we had enough $$ for me to quit, and look for a job for a couple of months. I wanted to get into a job more service oriented. Besides, with my wife's small business, we would be fine for a while. The plan was for me to help her expand her business, and look for a job at the same time. Her business fit in exactly with what I was looking for on a full-time basis. Let me say, this was the plan at least! I can still remember me coming home from the gym the first day after I had left my job saying, "Well, here I am, what do you need me to do here!"

To make a long story short, less than a week and a half after I left my job, my wife got a full-time job offer! And she wasn't even looking for a job. It was as a City Planner (think zoning kind of stuff), which she did prior to me hauling her all over the world with the Army. WOW! So, in military terms.....we improvised..adapted...and overcame the obstacle we were faced with. We decided for her to take the job, and for me to work on expanding her business. Or, should I say, our business now!

So, that is the beginning of it all for me. Not exactly the plan, but let me tell you I am enjoying the heck out of it. Its great to spend time with the kids. My wife loves her job, and I really enjoy what I am learning in our business and expanding it.

Why did I choose Jolly Green Dad? Well "Jolly" in that I am happy doing what I am doing (no i am not big santa claus kin of jolly), "Green" for the kind of business we are in, and "Dad" because I am a work-at-home/stay-at-home Dad now!

Phew, and that was the short version of my story. It would be great to hear from other Dads or other small business owners who might have similar stories, particularly those that have had their own "Had enough" moment and changed what they have been doing. I believe

Jolly Green Dad

P.S. Yes, my favorite channel is still ESPN (not Oprah) my favorite is still Fat Tire beer, and my favorite sports team is the Red Sox! Go SAWX!

No comments: