Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Adventures into "Play Date Land"

More uncharted fatherhood territory for me here. My oldest daughter is off of school for two weeks (we are on a year round school system here) and I am quickly learning about the concept of a "Play Date".

What is a "Play Date" you might ask? Well, up until recently I had no idea what one was. I mean I understood the concept of it, but never really knew how they worked. How does one arrange a "Play Date" for a daughter of theirs?

In case you were wondering, the whole topic of the two phrases "My Daughter" and "Date" always elicited a response like, "She will never date when she is a teenager, I am going to send her off to a monastery when she reaches 13." So....you understand where I am coming from on this?

It just feels plain weird calling up another Mom from my daughters class and asking if Johnny 1st grader can come over for a "Play Date" with my daughter. Again, re-read the previous paragraph and you will understand when "daughter" and "date" are in the same sentence I get pretty strong negative emotions.......

What is even more weird is blurting out the phrase to a Mom "Play Date".

Again, one of those things and conversations that I never EVER would have imagined I would be having before I became a SAHD/WAHD.

Has anyone else had any experiences or problems with the phrase "Play Date"?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm . . . I guess I had never given it much thought. But then again, we only schedule same-sex play dates, so I never thought of it any other way. ;-)

My oldest is now at the point where she schedules her own play dates. Although, now I think it's called, "Can so-and-so come over please, please, please?" rather than "play date."

Dad of Divas said...

I haven't had a problem with this, but do agree that my daughters will not be truly dating until their LATE teens if I have my way. I guess the way I look at it.... you have to have a date for the kids to play... so thus, play date! I guess I have never read more into it than that!

treasured_creatives said...

well.. I think the word "date" is being abused in this sense... come on... kids just want to get together and play games... so why go into so much hysteria for such a simple thing... when we were all kids from neighborhood/ class would just get together and play...

McMommy said...

Isn't it strange how two kids playing together got coined into the phrase "playdate"???

When I was little, it was simply "Can Julie come over to play me with me?"

I like that much better. Date-less.